Monday, August 24, 2009

ONLINE PET PEEVE

One of my biggest online pet peeves is the overuse of abbreviations. Some are OK, don't get me wrong. But some people just don't know when to stop. I have a hard enough time trying to figure out what the hell personalized license plates mean. Why should I have to try to figure out what you are trying to tell me. Just come out with it already.

Things like this really annoy me. If you can figure them out you are doing better than me. Some I have learned through asking others, but honestly, if you have to ask then there is a problem. Others are obvious, but just annoying as hell. Is it just me?
  • STFU
  • W R U @
  • FML
  • LMAO
  • ROFLMAO
  • What's UR 20?
  • NFW
  • OIC
And the list goes on. It's endless. More pop up every day. What if we spoke to each other that way? I would have to slap the shit out of someone. Texting was bad enough, but Twitter has just made things worse. I have trouble enough with English (and it's my first and only language). Why do I feel the need to learn an entirely new one? This is the reason I never text anyone, and the reason I despise receiving texts, so if you have my cell number, just call me. If it's important enough to say to me, then dial my damn number and tell me. Be warned that if you send me a text I will NOT respond. I hate it with a passion.

As you know, I am addicted to Twitter, so naturally I use some abbreviations from time to time to get my message withing the 140 character limit. But ONLY after I have exhausted every other possibility for using proper English. If I need to send two tweets to complete my thought, so be it.

Maybe I'm just too old fashioned. NOTE: I am not old, and anyone why says I am is in for one hell of an ass whooping. I'll show you just how old I am. The point is, if it's important enough for you to say to me, then just say it. Don't play games. I am a very tolerant person, but there are some places I have to draw the line, and this is one of them. If you want to use silly abbreviations with each other, fine. Don't do it with me. I'm not smart enough to figure it out and I will probably just ask you to explain it, so you might as well write it out anyway.

Thanks for understanding.

TTYL

1 comment:

  1. See I have a different take on this Matt. It is my livelihood so it is in my interest not to abbreviate and communicate in a clear, grammatically correct and concise manner. Predictive texting is a great help on the mobile (cell) phone.
    OK - C U Ltr lol!
    MUAH Robert

    ReplyDelete