Friday, July 17, 2009

MONSOON SEASON

Ugh... will the rain ever go away? This has been on of the wettest summers on record for the east coast of North America. Normally this time of year we are battling a drought. This year we are battling flash-floods. My friend Robert from Australia has been telling me about the drought they have been having for about a decade. He says that there are kids who have not seen a significant rainfall in their lives. I wish I could send some of this rain his way.

Today as I was leaving work a sudden storm came out of nowhere with rain blowing completely sideways. Traffic lights were blowing in the wind, trees were being uprooted and suddenly all of the power went out in the city. I could not see more than one care length in front of me. After about 10 minutes it went as fast as it came. Now the sun is out and there is not a cloud in the sky. This has been typical for this summer so far.

My friends in Montreal have been consumed by this unusually wet weather as well. Come on, give us a break. Is there a weather fairy we need to appease? Is it too much to ask for a nice clear week?

I'm trading in my car for a hovercraft this weekend. It's either that or build an ark.

4 comments:

  1. Well that's the difference with living in different hemispheres - you guys are getting the rain and it's still drought here but the new desalination plant and northern pipeline come on line at the end of next year - I mean you can't have a city of 4 million without water can you? The good thing about all that rain in your "neck of the woods" is that the locals get to see you in your hot speedos wading through the floods lol!
    x Robert

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Matt: It has been rainy here too. We had 7 inches (of rain) here in June. Your day sounds like ours, we had rain in the afternoon and evening. Yes, we should send some to Robert.

    Hugs - Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, everyone gets to see me in my speedos wading through mosquito infested water in all my sexiness, haha.

    I was going to ask you if there was a desalination plant near you. I think that is a wonderful solution. It's quite expensive, but given the circumstances I think it is well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mark!
    The rain and storms have really been pounding the east coast. As I was driving through New Jersey and New York last week I encountered quite a bit if rain. While I was in Montreal we had very little sun.

    Let's go to Home Depot and buy a bunch of large buckets and ship some of this wet stuff to Robert. I know OZ could use it.

    ReplyDelete